Wildland Fire Training Portal
  Wildland Fire Leadership
  BLM National Fire Training
  Wildland Fire Lessons Learned
  Boise Interagency Dispatch Center
Last Update: March 31, 2021 3:15 PM

For 2021, AD Sign Up Process - Details will be emailed to our current AD Employees from our Fire Business Office..


It is important that all AD personnel try to make one of the sign up dates. Only for rare or extenuating circumstances that other appointments will be allowed. Please call 208.384.3355 to talk with our fire business office if you must schedule an appointment.

AD personnel will not be paid for any mandatory training prior to getting signed-up (paperwork completed for 2021).
If an AD would like to take any mandatory training prior, it will be on a volunteer basis.
This is due to the release dates of the new AD pay plan and policies so personnel will be able to receive that information at the sign up sessions.

All of the four core training classes (First Aid/CPR. Defensive Driving. Fire Refresher. WCT) are listed on the MANDATORY TRAINING SCHEDULE. This is where you will want to look and register for the required training. All personnel who receive a qualification card or is a driver, needs to attend the Fire Refresher and are current with Defensive Driving and First Aid/CPR.

If you have any questions about training, qualifications, or if you need to take a class please contact Leigh Ann Hislop, Fire Training Specialist at agholson@blm.gov or 208.384.3403.

The following information is to assist you with any questions you might have about our BLM AD Program.

Here are the compiled questions and informaiton that is listed below:
AD Program
How to become an AD Hired Employee
When and how to sign up as an AD Employee
Required paperwork for initial sign up
When and how training schedule available and how to sign up for classes
Who needs a medical physical to take the WCT
How you can get paid as an AD
How to be a Driver for our local district logistical needs
What to remember when you go out on an assignment
Use of rental or personal vehicles
Paperwork needed when return from assignment
How to check out fire gear from the warehouse
Taskbooks and qualification information
Incident Performance Evaluations
Closeout and end of season

What is the AD program?

  • The Administratively Determined (AD) program is a mechanism to hire emergency workers during heavy fire times/seasons.  It is not full time work.  It is call when needed type of appointment.  Work can last from a couple of hours up to three weeks depending on the need of the incident and the qualifications of the AD. ADs must be ordered through the the dispatch channels and the Resource Ordering and Status System ROSS in order to be hired (receive a Resource Order).

How can I become an AD hired employee?

  • First you need to be sponsored by an federal or state agency (BLM, Forest Service, Idaho Department of Lands, etc).  An AD can only be signed up with one agency/dispatch center.  To be sponsored with the Boise District BLM, you will need to email the Fire Training Specialist TJ Gholson at agholson@blm.gov indicating your interest in becoming an AD employee and qualification you currently hold or would like to pursue. Leigh Ann will see if there is a need for your qualifications and seek approval from the District FMO. Once approved, you will need to provide your most current qualification card and fire training file to TJ ; and also visit our Fire Business Office to complete the hiring paperwork.
When and how do I sign up as an AD employee?
  • To signup as an AD employee, there are two dates set aside each spring that are the preferred times by our Fire Business folks. Any other time should be a rare case and it needs to be a scheduled appointment.

What is the required paperwork for initial sign up to be an AD employee?

  • Contact Information
  • Emergency Contact Information
  • W-4
  • Direct Deposit Form
  • I-9 (two forms of ID required: Driver's License, Social Security Card, Passport, etc)
  • Travel Profile Form (Direct Deposit/Bank Information needed)
  • For fire qualifications: most current qualification card and fire training file (deliver to Fire Training Office
When and how do I know the training schedule and sign up?

  • The mandatory training schedule is posted on this website by Feb 1 each year. See link on homepage. The training is dispersed throughout the spring and early summer prior to fire season. There are a few dates set aside for AD preferred sessions, but not required, to help keep classes to a manageble size. Mandatory training is required to be current to be eligible for a fire assignment.

Who needs a medical physical to take the WCT?

  • Individuals who need to take the arduous WCT for their fireline qualifications need to pass the medical standards physical prior to taking the WCT
  • Individuals who determined through the Health Screening Questionaire need to have a physical prior to completing any WCT

What can I get paid for?

    • Training hours up to 80/year which is used for refreshers and mandatory training
    • Fire assignments with no set amount of hours and is dependent on the need
    • Driving- no set amount of hours, is dependent on the need
    • Boot stipend-$100 - MUST have a current arduous fire position on Qualification Card

What does it take to be a Driver for our local district logisical needs?


    • Valid State Driver's License
    • Agency Defensive Driving Course or equivalent (every three years)
    • Current First Aid & CPR (every two years)
    • Annual Fireline Safety Refresher Training
    • Local Approval


    • Knowledge of our area
    • Understand how to read a map
    • Understand how to operate a hand-held radio
    • Available for call-when-needed and flexible work hours

What do you need to remember when you go out on an assignment?

      • Boise Interagency Dispatch Center will notify you of an available assignment and assist with determining/making travel arrangements
      • Complete hiring paperwork with fire business office prior to leaving for each assignment
      • Resource Order (Required for each assignment and for payment)
      • Qualification Card (Required for check-in on each assignment)
      • Single Resource Casual Hire Form (Required for each assignment and for payment)
      • Available Personal Funds - Prior to leaving on assignment, understand what you will be initially fiscally responsible for such as lodging and food expenses, fuel for rental car, laundry, etc. Also understand the perdiem rates and travel regulations. A travel voucher will be completed after your assignment for reimbursement.
      • Important to keep your receipts to complete the travel voucher when you return. Without receipts you cannot be reimbursed for expenses.

What if I need a rental vehicle? Or can I use my personal vehicle?

    • If a rental car is needed it will be provided by the agency through the dispatch center
    • DO NOT put rental cars on your personal credit card
    • If you would like to use your personal vehicle, work with your dispatch center. It is mainly determined on the overall cost of the personal vehicle vs the rental. Also you are agreeing to take responsibility of your own vehicle with your own insurance the entire assignment and travel even if there is an accident or you break down
    • If you choose to use your POV for an incident when a rental vehicle is available for you to use and it is not cost effective to the government, you will be paid at the LOWER RATE of when a government-furnished automobile is available and refer to the GSA POV Mileage Reimbursement Rates chart.
    • See more information on the Rental Vehicle link on the homepage

What is the paperwork needed when return from assignment?

    • A signed OF-288 Timesheet
    • All receipts from purchases
    • Completed travel voucher form
    • Resource order if changed position assignment or reassigned to another fire
    • Incident Performance Evaluation

Why are incident performance evaluatoins important?

    • It is a priviledge to be sponsored as an AD in our program and not everyone gets to participate. It is important that we only hire quality and motiviated folks that meet our local, geographic and national fire qualification needs.
    • For each assignment it is REQUIRED as an AD employee to have an incident performation evaluation completed and turned in to the fire training officer. (There is a box on the fire training specialist's door.)
      This will be monitored and managed in ROSS.
      It is the AD employee's responsibility and without the incident performance evaluation, you will not be available for the next assignment

If I need fireline gear how do I check it out from the warehouse?

    • If you hold position qualification that requires field gear, you may check out gear with the Boise BLM Fire Warehouse. You will need to set up a time with the warehouseman (208)384-3313 to check out your gear.  You will be required to return this gear at the end of the season.  You will be financially responsible for all damaged, lost, or unreturned gear. If the gear is damaged or lost on an incident, ensure that you try to resolve it at the incident and complete a Property Loss and Damage Report form with proper signatures.

What do I need to know about taskbooks and qualification information?

    • A current qualificaiton card is required before going on an assignment
    • You will only be able to fill an assignment with the qualifications that are on your current qualification card
    • IQCS is the system of record for qualifications and it feeds directly into ROSS which is the dispatching system
    • If you want to be able to see your qualifications and contact information and also be able to status yourself, contact the Boise Interagency Dispatch Office 208.384.3398.
    • Each year you should check with your dispatch office to make sure all your contact information in ROSS is current. You cannot get an assignment if they cannot contact you.
    • Plan ahead... Taskbooks can only be issued by your home unit training officer. One exception is if on an assignment, the Incident Training Specialist can call the Home Unit Training Officer to get permission to issue. To get paid by that new trainee position, it needs to be entered in IQCS which will load into ROSS, and then a new resource order can then be issued.
    • When you complete a taskbook, make a copy for yourself and then give the original to the Home Unit Training Officer for agency approval. The original will be returned once it has been through the agency approval process.
    • Documents you might want to reference for qualifications include the: NWCG 310-1, BLM Standards for Fire Training and Workforce Development and Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations.
    • Qualifications have expiration dates and in order for you to keep them current you have to go on an assignment but then also turn in your fire experience to the training officer at the end of the season. This information gets entered into IQCS and then updates ROSS with the current information.

What do I need to do for close out at the end of the season?

    • Ensure all your administrative paperwork is completed and contact information is current with the Fire Business Office
    • Turn in your fire experience to the Fire Training Specialist
    • If checked out any fire gear, return to the Fire Warehouse



Contact Us
Hosted by SWIFT Southwest Idaho Fire Training